- What did the resolution of this case mean for free legal service providers all over the United States?
- How would you explain this decision to a client who kept a large sum of money in your firm’s trust account? What is one way to explain it that would make the client feel better about not getting interest on his or her money?
- What was the Court’s rationale for allowing Thayer to recover attorneys’ fees at all?
- What was the Court’s rationale for not allowing the Takenaka and Yukawa paralegal fees but allowing the Chang fees?
- What policies would you institute in your Hawaii law firm based on this decision?
- Why do you think contingency fee cases require written agreements?
- What logical reason could Mullens have had for not getting his client to sign a new fee agreement?
- One of the advantages of representing clients on a contingency fee basis is not having to keep time sheets. But if you don’t keep accurate daily time records, how could you prove your quantum meruit case?
- After reading this case, what policies would you adopt for your law firm?