- A proper APA style research paper will include&
|a title page, abstract, main paper, and reference page.|
|a title page, abstract, main paper, and bibliography page.|
|a title page, overview, main paper, and reference page.|
|a title page, overview, main paper, and bibliography page.|
- A good thesis. . .
|skews the paper in contrary directions.|
|commits you to a line of argument.|
- Which statement is true about personal communication according to the APA style?
|Personal communications are cited within the paper and on the reference page.|
|Personal communications are cited within the paper but are not put on the reference page.|
|Personal communications are not cited in the paper or on the reference page.|
|Personal communications do not count as a reference that needs to be cited anywhere.|
- Which is NOT important when evaluating sources of evidence?
|The format of the sources|
|The point of view in sources|
|The date of the evidence|
|Your editorial judgement|
- When a quote is more than _________ words long, it should be block formatted.
- Useful resources can be located in all of the following except:
- An abstract should observe all of the following conventions except. . .
|summarize the paper’s most important points.|
|explain briefly the central issues or problem of the paper.|
|remain objective in its point of view.|
- As you read and analyze material, you can take notes using these three methods:
|Note cards, computer, and copy machine.|
|Skimming, formatting, relaying.|
|Observing, responding, intercepting.|
|Books, magazines, Web sites.|
- The thesis statement is useful for all of the following reasons except:
|It establishes a boundary around the subject that discourages aimless wandering.|
|It charts an orderly course for the paper.|
|It gives the reader an idea of what to expect, which makes the paper easier to read.|
|It includes a series of two or threee sentences in the first paragraph of the paper.|
- What are the three main types of outlines?
|Title, subject, and practice.|
|Subject, paragraph, and essay.|
|Chronological, abstract, and concrete.|
|Topic, sentence, and paragraph.|
- The single most important step in the research process is. . .
|selecting a topic.|
|writing a research paper.|
|browsing the library.|
- An example of a credible secondary source to be used for research is. . .
|original writing by an author.|
|commentary by a third party about an experiment.|
- Which of the following is a good principle for revising?
|Top to bottom.|
|Smallest to biggest elements.|
|Biggest to smallest elements.|
|Bottom to top.|
- An APA title page does NOT include&
|a page number.|
|the name of school.|
|the due date.|
|a running header.|
- Which statement is false?
|Research comes from the middle French word “rechercher” meaning “to seek out.”|
|The research paper is a mini-classroom intended for your benefit.|
|The thesis-based research paper allows the writer to argue a proposition or point of view.|
|The research paper requires a minimum of 15 drafts to be well-composed.|
- There are three logical operators in Boolean logic that assist a researcher to define his or her search. Which of the following is not one of the them?
- You should avoid all of the following topics except. . .
|Topics that are controversial.|
|Topics on a single source.|
|Topics that are trivial.|
|Topics that are contemporary.|
- Research papers are written for all of the following reasons except:
|They force the writer to learn a great deal about a chosen topic.|
|They allow the writer to build skills at adding extraneous material in the most inconspicuous manner possible.|
|They teach the writer the conventions of scholarly writing, including the accepted styles of documentation and ethics of research.|
|They allow the writer a chance to become familiar with the library through the learning-by-doing method.|
- The primary purpose of research writing is to&
|take a stand.|
|inform the reader.|
|seek out information.|
- Which below is the correct APA citation for a quote?
|Birmingham (p. 12) found “that most students do not understand the memory process.”|
|Birmingham (2008) found “that most students do not understand the memory process.”|
|Birmingham (2008) found “that most student do not understand the memory process” (p. 12).|
|Birmingham (p. 12) found “that most student do not understand the memory process” (2008).|