Business Report on Lean Systems Thinking for an Organization
For this Assignment, you will write a business report, including an executive summary, on lean systems thinking and how to incorporate it into an organizational strategy that includes sustainability and positive social change.
You work as an Operations consultant at XYZ Corporation, and your VP, Yuki Tanaka, has asked that your team write a report for a client company. The company offers both products and services, and company leaders need some information about lean systems thinking as they consider options for their organization. Your manager asks you to deliver the report and demonstrate to the company leaders how they might benefit from utilizing lean thinking in their organizational strategy. The report should first include an executive summary and then consist of two parts—one that describes what lean thinking is and offers some general examples of its use, and a second part that demonstrates how to incorporate lean systems into an organizational culture and strategy.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources.
- Refer to the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses as you compose your Assignment.
By Day 7
Submit your report, which includes the following information.
- Executive Summary (1 page)
- Part 1: What is Lean Thinking? (5–8 paragraphs)
- Describe what lean thinking is and what its key elements are. Provide some examples of how different organizations use it, as well as an explanation of what challenges organizations may encounter when implementing lean thinking. (150–300 words, or 2–4 paragraphs)
- Explain how lean thinking is applied to product systems. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
- Explain how lean thinking is applied to service systems. (75 words, or 1 paragraph)
- Describe what a lean layout is, including a relevant example of its use in an organization, and explain how a lean layout can help an organization achieve its business outcomes. (1–2 paragraphs)
- Part 2: How to Incorporate Lean Systems (5–9 paragraphs)
- Explain how organizations can create and sustain a lean culture. What, if any, differences exist in creating and sustaining lean cultures in product versus service organizations? What about in domestic versus global environments? (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- In what ways can lean methods create sustainable supply chains? Explain your answer. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- Explain how sustainable supply chains can promote positive social change. (75–150 words, or 1–2 paragraphs)
- What is performance measurement and continuous improvement? How should organizations incorporate both of these concepts into their lean systems strategy? Explain your answers. (150–225 words, or 2–3 paragraphs)
Note: Your report should adhere to the template provided. Be sure to incorporate properly formatted references to a minimum of five scholarly sources to support your work. Use the Week 4 Assignment Template, provided in this week’s Learning Resources, to complete this Assignment.
Refer to the Week 4 Assignment Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.