Discussion: What Makes a Value Proposition Successful?
If you could not get to work because you had no car, you might decide that the best solution to this problem would be to purchase a vehicle. In that case, you could easily see the value of your purchase, as it would immediately solve your challenge of not being able to go where you needed to go. But have you ever been faced with the option of purchasing a good or service for which you could not immediately identify a need? What convinced you of the ultimate value of the purchase? What problem did it solve, or what aspect of your life did it improve?
Marketers use the value proposition to demonstrate the appeal of their specific product or service to customers by showing them how it will deliver benefits, meet a need, or solve a problem. This is an important concept for businesses, as it is a way to gain competitive advantages in the marketplace. But what makes a value proposition successful? In this Discussion, you and your colleagues will seek to answer that question.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Think about a product or service that has enhanced your life by solving a problem. What is it about that product or service that has made life better or easier for the people who use it? If you were asked to present a compelling argument for why others should use that particular product or service, how might you go about it?
- Locate a marketing campaign that you believe to be a successful presentation of the value proposition for a product or service.
- Review the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses, provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post either a link to or some representative image(s) of your selected marketing campaign. In 150–225 words (2–3 paragraphs), address the following:
- Explain who the target customers are for this product or service and why you believe this campaign to have been successful.
- What approaches or tactics do you think the marketers used to effectively reach the target customers and demonstrate the value of this product or service?
- To support your response, be sure to reference at least one properly cited scholarly source.
Refer to the Week 1 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond with at least 75 words (1 paragraph) each to two or more of your colleagues’ postings by doing one of the following:
- Suggest one or more additional target customers that your colleague did not mention and what tactics would be most effective for them.
- Describe additional approaches or tactics that you think the marketers used to effectively reach the target customers and demonstrate the value of the product or service.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
There are no reviews yet.