Assignment 1: Content Review
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between two and three paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question within the document, so that your instructor can see which question you are responding to.
- The “Building on Theory” section in your course text (Berger, 2016, p. 371) 384 summarizes a very important aspect of children’s cognitive development including the ability to control and regulate the flow of information, In your own words, define the term metacognition. Then, explain why this skill is integral to children’s future cognitive development including success in school and in life.
- The course text states that ,“Experiences in middle childhood can sustain, magnify, or reverse the advantages or disadvantages that children acquire in the preschool years” (Berger, 2016, p. 413). Review pages 413- 416 of your course text, which discuss the situations or types of interactions that are likely to be sources of stress for children between the ages of 5 and 11. Then, explain how a child’s competencies or capabilities related to physical, cognitive, and social and emotional development may affect how the child responds to stressful situations or interactions.
- Poverty can create stressful and/or threatening conditions that affect children’s development. Consider, for example, the effects that poverty can have on children’s access to adequate nutrition. In what ways might under nutrition or malnutrition and the stress associated with both impact children’s physical, cognitive, and social and emotional development?