5.1 Refusal Skills – Work File
Read each of the case studies located on the 5.1 activities page and choose one of the case studies to complete the refusal sequence. After completing the refusal skills sequence, answer the questions below the eight step sequence.
Using the refusal skills sequence, complete the case scenario by indicating how you would refuse to be involved in the situation. Include all eight steps of the refusal sequence, and use the format indicated below for each step.
(List the step then the action)
1. What are they asking me to do and why?
They are asking me to participate in an activity that is illegal and against my personal values.
(Double space after each answer.)
Case Study Number ____________
- What are they asking me to do and why? (8 points)
- Label what they are asking you to do (i.e. illegal, dangerous, etc.). (8 points)
- Determine the consequences if you get caught or if you participate in this activity. (8 points)
- Communicate my refusal. (8 points)
- Say no. (8 points)
- Use “I” statements. (8 points)
- Suggest an alternative. (8 points)
- Leave the scene and avoid questionable places. (8 points)
Issues Related to Gangs
- Discuss two or more public health and safety issues that are caused by youth gangs and violence. (8 points)
- Explain two or more protective factors you can use to achieve to become a successful adult. (8 points)
- Explain how healthy behaviors and choices can positively affect your health status and how unhealthy behaviors and choices will negatively affect your health status. (10 points)
- Compare a time when one of your peers influenced healthy behavior to a time when a peer has influenced unhealthy behavior in your life. (10 points)