Achieving Success in Virtual Teams
- Describe the attributes that contribute to the success of virtual teams and those that contribute to the failure of virtual teams.
- Discuss the extent to which the characteristics of well- functioning, effective groups overlap the attributes that contribute to the success of virtual teams.
- Explain how cultural diversity can affect the effective functioning of virtual teams operating in a global economy.
- Is Volvo’s approach to evaluating the effectiveness of its virtual teams one that could serve as a useful model for other organizations to follow in evaluating their own virtual teams? Justify your answer.
Groupon: Decisions! Decisions! Decisions!
- What are the key decisions that Andrew Mason has made during Groupon’s history? How have these decisions influenced Groupon’s evolution as an internet-based business?
- How would you describe the decisions identified in your response to question 1 in terms of programmed and nonprogrammed decision making?
- How would you describe these decisions in terms of the rational, bounded rationality, and garbage can models of decision making?
- How, if at all, has creativity and intuition played a role in the decisions to found and rapidly expand Groupon?
- Suppose you think the market for group-based online coupons has great potential, and you desire to enter the competitive fray. What factors would you consider in deciding whether to become a Groupon competitor?
- What are the functional sources of power? (pg. 420)
- Distinguish between personal and social power. What are the four power-oriented characteristics of the best managers? (pg. 420)
- Define leadership and followership. Distinguish between formal leadership and informal leadership. (pg. 457)
- Define initiating structure and consideration as leader behaviors. (pg. 457)