In this week’s discussion, you will read selected passages in your book and share your understanding of positive messaging.You will analyze strategies employed for persuading audience after reviewing artifacts (see below) using the PAIBOC method.
Review your reading of Module 2 from Week One. Focus on questions of audience such as what is discussed in your book (Locker & Kaczmarek, 2014, p. 22). More importantly, closely read Module 7 on positive emphasis and Module 8 on Reader Benefits. Focus on questions like “How do I create positive emphasis?” (p. 102) and “Why do Reader Benefits Work?” (p. 113).
Click for more options
“Tone is present in all communication activities. Ultimately, the tone of a message is a reflection of the writer and it does affect how the reader will perceive the message” (Driscoll, 2010, para. 1).
“The business writer should strive for an overall tone that is confident, courteous, and sincere; that uses emphasis and subordination appropriately; that contains nondiscriminatory language; that stresses the ‘you’ attitude; and that is written at an appropriate level of difficulty” (Ober, 1995, para. 1).
Initial Post Requires Two Areas of Response:
- 1) Positive Messaging
- 2) PAIBOC Analysis
CREATE and POST
After reading the pages required above, please respond to the following questions. Be sure to reference your book at least once (and cite it in-text and in a reference at the bottom):
1) What is the importance of positive messaging? How can you convey positive messages about yourself in your professional communications? In your Final Portfolio? Share a tactic you can use to improve your positive messaging or tone? Please quote from your reading and cite it appropriately in-text.
2) Using PAIBOC method analyze one of the following artifacts (see below). Use the guiding questions to craft your response. Be sure to respond to each of the questions. Please choose a different artifact than the one chosen by the peer who posted immediately before you.
While no specific word count is required, this is a Upper level class, and you are expected to provide full, meaningful responses. If you are unsure about answers to these questions, do some informal research. Be sure to quote and cite (both in-text and parenthetically) any research you use, including your book. Citations should be in APA format. This includes citations of sample portfolios you discuss.
- Purpose – What is your purpose of the artifact?
- Audience – Who is your intended audience?
- Information – What is the most pertinent information conveyed?
- Benefits – How does the information benefit the perceived audience?
- Objections – What might someone object to?
- Context – What is the context for this communication?
Two peer responses are required. Consider the following questions to respond:
How does your peer’s comment on positive messaging compare to your experiences?Considering your peer’s PAIBOC analysis, are the purpose and goal clear? What one area would you like to know more about?Please be sure to check your own thread during the week for replies from your peers and your instructor. Should your instructor have additional questions or requirements, please complete them.