Operations Management in the Service Industry
Consider the following scenario:
Wendy Rodriguez runs a part-time consulting business assisting clients with their résumés and job searches. She also meets with her clients online to coach them on interviewing techniques. Although she is confident in her knowledge and abilities regarding the job hiring process, she does have some struggles in managing her own business and maintaining clients. In an effort to turn her business around, she seeks her father’s advice. He ran a successful business for 25 years manufacturing fiberglass tubs, and he gave her some ideas that helped him. However, when Wendy tries to implement the strategies he suggested, it seems like her problems become worse than they were before. She then considers her own role as a consultant and how she uses her strengths to help others with their weaknesses. With that consideration in mind, she hires a business consultant who explains that her father’s strategies work well in an industry based on goods, but she needs to take a different approach for a services-based industry such as hers. After identifying the unique challenges that she faces, Wendy develops a plan to address the challenges and grows her business to the point where it becomes her full-time career.
In this Discussion, you will identify a business or industry that is based on services and explain what challenges it may face in regard to the five I’s of services, as well as how to address those challenges. The focus is to explain the role of operations management and the unique challenges that can be presented. Just as Wendy in the scenario discovered, distinguishing the unique factors that impact goods and services is a critical consideration.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing in particular on the role of operations management and the description of the 5 I’s of services found in the Lumen Learning (n.d.) resource.
- Identify a type of services-based business or industry with which you are familiar and consider how the 5 I’s of services apply to it.
- Review the Academic Writing Expectations for 2000/3000-Level Courses, provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 3
Post a 225- to 300-word (3- to 4-paragraph) explanation of the impact the 5 I’s of services have on a business or industry. In your explanation, address the following:
- Describe the business or industry that you chose.
- Explain what types of challenges that a business or industry might face with each of the five I’s of services.
- Identify a way to overcome at least one of the challenges you described.
- To support your response, be sure to reference at least one properly cited scholarly source.
Refer to the Week 1 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond with at least 75 words (1 paragraph) each to two or more of your colleagues’ postings by doing one of the following:
- Describe an additional challenge that the business or industry your colleague described might face.
- Offer an additional way in which the business or industry can overcome one of the challenges your colleague described.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.