Discussion: Doing vs. Saying: Nonverbal Communication
To prepare for your Discussion:
- Review Chapters 7 and 8 in the course text. What verbal and nonverbal behaviors described in these chapters do you recognize in your own communication? How might your verbal and nonverbal behaviors influence your communication with another culture that uses different verbal and nonverbal behaviors?
- Think of examples of challenges and benefits that verbal and nonverbal behaviors from different cultures bring to society. How would society change if everyone used the same verbal and nonverbal behaviors? What would be the benefits of a society that used the same verbal and nonverbal behaviors?
By Day 3
Post a 2- to 3-paragraph explanation of how one major cultural, nonverbal behavior can affect communication with someone outside that culture by doing the following:
- Identify a major nonverbal behavior in your culture.
- Consider how someone outside of the culture might react to this nonverbal behavior.
- Consider how these behaviors can affect communication with people of other cultures.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to at least one of this week’s Learning Resources. Additionally, you may opt to include an outside academic resource that you have identified.
By Day 5
Respond to the posts of at least two different colleagues in one of the following ways:
- Explain how the nonverbal behavior in your peer’s post might be interpreted in your culture.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting by providing additional examples of nonverbal behaviors from the same culture.
- Offer an alternative view of how the nonverbal behavior might be received.