Discussion: What Should I Wear Today?: Cultural Patterns
To prepare for your Discussion :
- Review Hall’s, Hofstede’s, and the GLOBE cultural taxonomies in Chapter 5 of the course text.
- Reflect on how the cultural taxonomies measure your culture. Of all the characteristics listed for each of the taxonomies, which quality do you believe is the most applicable and useful for understanding cultural differences? Why do you believe this to be so? How effective are these taxonomies for helping you to understand cultural differences?
By Day 3
Post a 2- to 3-paragraph explanation of how a cultural taxonomy you select from this week’s Learning Resources can be used to facilitate understanding of cultural differences. Identify specific examples to support your position.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to at least one of this week’s Learning Resources. Additionally, you may opt to include an outside academic resource that you have identified.
By Day 5
Respond to the posts of at least two different colleagues in one of the following ways:
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting by providing an additional way that cultural patterns can be used to gain understanding of cultural differences.
- Offer an alternative cultural pattern that accomplishes the same understanding of cultural differences.