Assignment: Your Intercultural Competence Journey: Final Reflection
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review your papers from Weeks 2–5. What are some of the key areas of learning that you gained from the course so far? After using the BASIC and D-I-E tools in the Week 2 Assignment, how have you changed your cultural perceptions and ways of communicating with other cultures?
- Consider what you have learned from this course. What have you learned about yourself? What do you consider as your strengths in communicating across cultures? What are the areas that you need to work on developing in order to become more interculturally competent?
- Bring to mind an experience in which you interacted with someone from another culture since beginning this course. What knowledge have you already been able to apply to your experiences with people from other cultures? How might you use your knowledge of intercultural communication and competency to improve upon your intercultural interactions in the future?
- Reflect on how you can apply your knowledge to other areas of your life. What do you see as some of the challenges you will face when you communicate with people of other cultures? How might you anticipate and overcome these challenges? What application does this course have to you personally and professionally? How can you benefit your community and society at large by implementing the methods and tools of intercultural communication and competency?
By Day 7
Submit a 3- to 4-page paper in which you:
- Describe the changes you have seen in your perceptions of and reactions to interactions with other cultures. Use your Week 2 Assignment paper and the BASIC and D-I-E tools as the basis of your response.
- Explain two or three key elements that you have learned about yourself and your culture. In addition to these elements, identify the strengths you have noticed about your communication with other cultures, as well as the areas in which you need to work to become more interculturally competent.
- Using the example you brought to mind in the “To prepare” section above, describe how you have already been able to apply knowledge gained from this course in a real-world experience.
- Considering your personal and professional life, articulate how you might use your knowledge of intercultural communication to be an effective communicator across cultures. Define the challenges that you may face when you interact with other cultures in the future, and anticipate how you might overcome these challenges.
- Conclude by summarizing how your learning from this course, your experiences interacting with other cultures, and the concept of how being interculturally competent will benefit your community and society in an increasingly globalized, multicultural context.
There are no reviews yet.