Assignment: Application: Mass Communication Critique
Has a provocative media clip showing human suffering caused you to reflect upon your ethical beliefs or to question the beliefs of others? In mass media, gatekeepers known as advertisers, journalists, news stations, media conglomerates, and their associated editorial staff weigh their own ethical beliefs and concerns to determine what is seen. In this Application, you will examine your own ethical beliefs as you analyze how media organizations decide upon the message.
To prepare for this Application:
- Review Chapters 16–18 in the Course Text, The Dynamics of Mass Communication: Media in Transition, and the video “Principles of Risk Communication.”
- Review the articles “From the Editor: Questions of Ethics—for Bee and You,” “Opinion: From the Editor: The Question Is Ethics, and Readers Respond,” and “Impact of the Global Media Revolution.”
- Read the two case studies in the “Case Studies for Media Ethics” document in this week’s Learning Resources and choose one to focus on for this activity.
- Identify the ethical implications posed in your chosen case study.
- Consider the social implications of the media portrayal discussed in the case study.
- Reflect on how your personal beliefs influence your ethical view of this case study.
By Day 7
Write a 1- to 2-page critique of your chosen case study that answers the following questions:
- What are the ethical implications of the case studies?
- How did your personal beliefs affect your critique?
- What are the professional, community-based, and environmental effects of the media portrayal presented in the case study?
- Refer to 2 specific examples from your course reading and record in your assignment information about each source, including author, year, page number, and publication title.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK4Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 4 Assignment
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer Find the document you saved as “WK4Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submitbutton to complete your submission.