Discussion: Challenges of Adolescence
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements.
Review the text section titled Family Troubles on pages 427 – 429. Select either Wealth and Poverty or Conflict. In your own words describe how the “family trouble” selected impacts family function and family structure. Next, provide examples of how this may influence healthy child development in each domain. (You may want to refer to the 5 common needs of children on page 418 of the text.
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 3
Post the following:
- A specific reason (within the domain of physical, cognitive/language, or social-emotional development) why adolescence can be a “stormy and stressful” time in human development. Include both a positive way and negative way that an adolescent might respond to this challenge. Illustrate with a personal example from your own teen years or from the experience of adolescents you know.
- Your ideas for how families, schools, and communities can provide guidance and support to help adolescents successfully deal with challenges they experience during this stage of development. Include personal observations about what works best to help strengthen adolescents’ resilience.
By Day 7
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ postings in any of the following ways:
- Build on something your colleague said.
- Explain why and how you see things differently.
- Ask a probing or clarifying question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
- Ask for evidence that supports the posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Consider what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
There are no reviews yet.