Assignment 1: Content Review
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between two and three paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question within the document, so that your instructor can see which question you are responding to.
- As in all stages of development, brain growth is an important influence on children—physically, cognitively, and socially and emotionally. Review pages 248 – 249 in your course text and then explain how continuing development in the prefrontal cortex area of the brain can affect young children’s readiness to enter the more structured environments of kindergarten and the primary grades. Considering that each child develops in his or her unique way, what are some of the challenges (physically, cognitively, and socially and emotionally) that children might encounter when they start formal schooling such as kindergarten, despite being the appropriate age?
- Between the ages of 3 and 7, children’s fine- and gross-motor skills advance considerably. Review “Visualizing Development- Developing Motor Skills on page 255 of your course text. Based on the information you have learned from the Learning Resources for this week, explain at least two ways changes in motor competency may impact children’s development and skills in the cognitive domain and in the social and emotional domain.
- Review the section titled, “ Play” on pages 317 – 323 in your course text. Then explain how pretend play has the potential to enhance children’s development in all of the domains.